Food & Drink
Swe-Dishes: Pickled Egg and Smoked Salmon SaladJanuary 5, 2017
New year, new me, right? If you are kicking off the new year by dusting off the old sneakers and hitting the gym, post-workout protein is a must.
If that sounds familiar (or you just love egg salad), Texas-based Swedish chef Jan Loov has the perfect recipe for you.
“This is a salad that, in my opinion, combines the best of Scandinavian and American cuisine,” Loov said. “The pickled egg transforms the salad, and the addition of smoked salmon makes it taste luxurious.”
- A dozen hard boiled eggs
- A glass jar big enough to hold the boiled eggs
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups sugar
- 8 oz. smoked salmon, cut in strips
- 1½ cups mayo
- 1½ cups sour cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Bring water, sugar and vinegar to a boil.
- Pour the hot vinegar solution on top of the peeled hard boiled eggs.
- Let cool and let sit for at least 24 hours, preferably longer, up to a week.
- Once the eggs are done, mix the mayo and sour cream together, and add the smoked salmon.
- Cut the eggs into small dices and mix gently with the salmon and mayo/sour cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
(Serve over toast)
Chef Jan Loov is the Chef de Cuisine at the Omni Dallas Hotel’s Texas Spice restaurant. He hails from Sweden, where he attended the Troisiemme Anne’ Culinary School in Linköping. Previously, Chef Loov lived and worked all over the world at various restaurants and hotels before his travels brought him to Boston, where his true passion for sustainable seafood was brought to life while working at Turner Fisheries at the Westin Copley Place. From there, he moved to Dallas and worked at a few smaller venues until the opportunity to work at the Omni Dallas Hotel arose. He assumed the role of Chef d’ Cuisine of Texas Spice in July of 2014. Working at Texas Spice has given him the opportunity to work and share with fellow chefs and culinary experts. This drives him to use the freshest, most sustainable products available, all the while thoroughly enjoying life to its fullest.