Our Favorite Stories Of 2019December 19, 2019
For 365 days a year, the Umgås team gives 110% to bring you the best, the most newsworthy, and sometimes the most buzzworthy Swedish-American news we can find. Sure, we write our share of silly content, but we like to mix in some interview-based articles where Swedish-American voices can shine from coast to coast.
We all have our favorite articles, and sometimes our readers feel the same way (like with our article about Dala horses), but sometimes our most beloved articles fall flat on our fans. Here are some of our favorite articles of the year.
Where do you stand: Were these some of your favorites, too?
Umgås Staffer: Aidan
Out of everybody, Aidan’s favorites aligned most with our readers.
- Not A Cake, Not Yet A Sandwich: Breaking Down The Smörgåstårta
- What Did We Just Watch? Reflecting On The ‘Midsommar’ Horror Film
- Take Us Back To The Days Of The Kafferep
- Who Would Play Pippi Longstocking Today? And Other Swedish Recastings…
Umgås Staffer: Amanda
Amanda is a cat mom and our resident music lover, which explains why these two made her favorites list.
- Swedish Superstitions Americans Probably Have Never Heard Of
- A Q&A With ‘America’s Got Talent’s’ Chris Kläfford
Umgås Staffer: Casey
Turns out, Casey really loves articles that she can experience first-hand (not that she’s dated a Skarsgård, but she loves a good Buzzfeed quiz).
- Behind The Scenes At IKEA: Where Dreams Are Built
- Which Famous Skarsgård Is Your Soulmate?
- A Newbie Taste Tests Swedish Candy For National Licorice Day
Umgås Staffer: Evans
Our newest staffer has a soft spot for iconic Swedish figures and landmarks.
- Swedish Dala Horses: A Lesson About A Popular Swedish Icon
- Kungsleden: An Overview of Sweden’s Famous Hiking Trail
Umgås Staffer: Kyra
Kyra likes stories that dive deep into a Swedish-American story (and maybe she likes a glass of wine, too).
- Swedish Sommelier Arvid Rosengren At The Top Of His Field
- Seattle’s Nordic Museum Explores Sweden Within Nordic History, Traditions And Contemporary Culture
Umgås Editor: Sean
Our fearless editor is a storyteller through and through, and some of his favorite pieces this year were thanks to great conversations with interesting Swedes.
- Catching Up With Golf Legend Annika Sörenstam
- 25 Years Later, ‘Cotton Eye Joe’ Remains A Worldwide Hit
- Singer Emily Hurd’s Road Home Leads To Opening Of Nordic Restaurant The Norwegian
- Did You Know…A Swede Designed The Iconic Coca-Cola Bottle
- Turning It Up With Rocker Anders Osborne