In The News: A World-Record Semla Bun In Time For Shrove Tuesday?February 21, 2020
A Swedish bakery believes it has broken the Guinness World Record for the largest semla bun.
According to UPI, the Bake My Day bakery successfully cooked up a 661-pound semla bun, a traditional Swedish treat for Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday. The bun and its 286 pounds of cream and 66 pounds of almond cream went on display at Sergels Torg, a town square in Stockholm, earlier this week.
By our math – four servings at 400 calories per pound – that’s a little more than 1 million calories.
Some other headlines that caught our eye this week…
- Swedish Alcohol Monopoly Sues Wine App Vivino (The Drinks Business)
- Is This the Best Opera Singer You’ve (Probably) Never Heard Of? (The New York Times)
- 16 Movies That Could Be Oscar Contenders in 2021 (Rotten Tomatoes)
- Ester: The Classic Swedish Racing Yacht That Came Back from the Dead (Yachting World)
- Sweden Creates $1 Million Prizes for Sustainable Food Solutions (Yahoo News/AFP)